Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Ingrid Callot: Growing paradise in your backyard


Ingrid Callot. Photo Credit: flickr.com/photos/gardeninginaminute


I’ll probably never forget that day Edgardo Versoza stepped onto my porch, his jaw dropped as he exclaimed, “Ingrid Callot! Why’s your garden full of weeds?”

You see, Edgardo is like the Devil himself. Playing the antagonist’s role in the story of my life, he never tires of whacking me with uncouth remarks with the purpose of bruising my self-esteem. Not! I would give him too much credit should I allow him the pleasure. However, that day on my porch was different. It was a wake-up call for me. And I vowed to take my commitment to green living more seriously. I brushed up on my green IQ and made an oath to bring Eden to the world -- or at least to my backyard.


With the hopes of conquering the world together with her army of recyclists, Ingrid Callot often writes about her green ideals that range from overcoming closet mayhem to finding the greenest, cheapest deals.


Ingrid Callot. Photo Credit:foodshedalliance.org


I’ve admitted a gazillion times and more that I am no green thumb. Moreover, I’ve never read the bible from cover to cover. But I truly believe nirvana is not impossible to achieve. Everyone can start growing their own paradise in their backyard. And today, I share 10 of the easiest vegetables you can grow in your garden without the aid of an expert:
1. Carrots
2. Green beans
3. Lettuce
4. Cucumbers
5. Spinach
6. Tomatoes
7. Radish
8. Bell peppers
9. Summer squash
10. Basil
Searching for eco- and budget-friendly DIY projects? Follow Ingrid Callot on Twitter.




Ingrid Callot. Photo Credit: foodshedalliance.org

No comments:

Post a Comment