Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Professional organizer Barbara Reich: On organizing your child's world



“Just after I finished clearing the decks, my son Jacob would set out his stuff and play with them until they’re all over the floor. Then I’d wade my way through the chaos all over again.” — me, recalling an Ingrid Callot indignant moment.

If you have kids at home, you know exactly what I mean. You also understand how difficult it is to keep everything in order, especially if you’re a sentimental mom. But getting rid of sentimentality, when organizing kids’ stuff, is one advice that I’ve picked up from Barbara Reich, author of Secrets of an Organized Mom.


Image Source: thebeoples.blogspot.com


“You absolutely have my permission to throw those greeting cards away! Only save the few with those special notes inside. I’d suggest getting a small letterbox or clear large envelope so you know what’s inside,” Reich shares in the Today Show.

Reich also introduces her four-step system of avoiding unnecessary clutter. It begins with purging, followed by designing and organizing, and ends with maintenance.


Image Source: noordinaryhomestead.com


I agree with Reich when she says that being overwhelmed should not stop you from starting to get organized. Identifying problem areas of your children’s small world and spending time on those areas are simple steps to make progress. Once you get started, you’ll less likely to get any more overwhelmed.


Image Source: homeorganizeit.com


Hi! I have more tips on how to keep your home spic-and-span. Follow me on Twitter!

1 comment:

  1. Home organizing can be hard for a mother specially when he has to do the job and all other stuff of home. Office work can be stressful and after a tiring day one can not make food and organize home. In order to stay calm working women should hire a professional organizer pittsburgh
    I've just mentioned pittsburgh only since I live there. Check in your vicinity too.

    ReplyDelete