Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Doing your "business" the eco-friendly way: Ingrid Callot on composting toilets

Ingrid Callot teaches you how to keep your toilet smelling fresh and clean with the following blog. Read on and join the green side!


From Ingrid Callot Photo Credit: www.eburcat.com



Ever since my family and I decided to lead an eco-friendly lifestyle, I have gotten rid of almost all the plastic in my house, and we’ve started eating organic food and using only sustainable products. Recently, we also had a composting toilet installed in our house. At first my son Jacob was in no way convinced with the idea and said, “Mom, isn’t that gross?”

I just smiled and answered, “Just wait and see, darling.”


From Ingrid Callot Photo Credit: Blogs.Nbcuni.com


"Ingrid Callot is a wife and mother, and is known in her neighborhood as a recycling goddess."


A composting toilet is a system that eliminates nasty odors from human waste while avoiding water wastage. Plus, you can use the waste as fertilizer in your garden! I learned there are several ways of doing it, but basically it works like this:

• When doing ‘business’ in the composting toilet, I let my family use a bucket to place their you-know-what in. I also put a pile of sawdust (hay, woody mulch, or even shredded paper will do) ready at the side to cover up the you-know-what in the bucket. This keeps the unpleasant smell from leaking out and prevents uninvited pests from coming in.

• When the bucket is good to go, I put it in our backyard, under the sun, to stand for two weeks. The heat of the sun, especially when the heat reaches more than160° F, is enough to kill the microbes in the bucket. I can then use the compost to fertilize my beautiful plants.

• The bucket is then cleaned and ready to be put back in the composting toilet.


From Ingrid Callot Photo Credit: Themarriagechecklist.com


For more eco-friendly DIY projects, follow Ingrid Callot on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment