Sunday, February 24, 2013

A muddle-free 2013: Decluttering your home

As the domesticity queen, I am always on the lookout for fresh ideas to organize and declutter my home. Sometimes, my husband Roger would say “Ingrid Callot, you’re a neat freak!”

He kids, but I don’t mind him saying that because he also knows the value of an organized life. Anyway, I have stumbled upon this Forbes article by EB Solomont about freeing the home of paper clutter. Included in the writer’s list of tips are the following:

Sorting and filing papers using grammar.
Sorting by verb (e.g., pay the bills) and filing by noun (e.g., recipes) is a fun way of identifying among papers I need now against those that I need to store away.


Image Source: Blog.turbotax.intuit.com


Paying bills online.
I’ve started doing this years ago, and it seems to be one of the most efficient ways to lessen paper waste. In this day and age, most credit card and utility companies provide options for how their clients can receive billing statements and pay the bill.

Eliminating old papers.
I ask myself this: “Is this stack of magazines worth the space in my home, or do I have all the information here available online?”


Image Source: Home-style-choices.com

Integrating a filing system in home furnishing.
This is something that I have to work on. My plan of action: Make a dining room sideboard cabinet as a discreet file cabinet.

Organizing the home doesn’t have to be taxing and difficult. All it takes is a little bit of planning and a few minutes a day of execution.


Image Source: Quickandsimple.com



My Facebook page provides updates about home organizing solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment